Saturday, August 20, 2016

Edwardian white lace Gibson Girl blouse - May (Posting Late) Holes HSM Challenge

For May's HSM Challenge, Holes, I made an Edwardian white lace Gibson Girl blouse. I'm late posting, and this was worked on in April-June. I made this to wear to a friend's summer Seaside party, but I ended up wearing a store bought Edwardian bathing suit instead (it was so much cooler in the summer heat). Here is the finished Gibson Girl blouse, with lace inserts and other holes in the garment!
White lace Gibson Girl blouse by TheLadyDetalle
Historical Sew Monthly MAY challenge:






The Challenge: Holes – sometimes the spaces between stuff are what makes a garment special.  Make a garment that is about holes, whether it is lace, slashing, eyelets, etc.

Material: White dotted swiss cotton

Pattern: Folkwear 'Gibson Girl blouse'

Year: Turn of the century Edwardian Gibson Girl

Notions: White lace (with lots of holes!)

How historically accurate is it? I'm not an expert in this era, but it looks period appropriate to me. It was machine sewn, which Edwardians had. I used a pattern from Folkwear for a Gibson Girl blouse that my mom had in her stash.

Hours to complete: About two hours to cut out, read the pattern and prep. Probably a good 6+ hours to sew together, since I messed up a few things and picked some seams and re-did. This is the product of rushing and sewing while tired, late in the evening, lol!

First worn: Not yet worn: made in May/June to wear in June, but ended up going with another outfit so will wear this in future!

Total cost: The white dotted swiss cotton and lace used was from my mom's stash, so free!
View of the back - Gibson Girl blouse



No comments:

Post a Comment