Tuesday, December 1, 2015

A delicate late 18th century apron - May HSM (LATE) Challenge 'Practicality'

First, this is a LATE finish of May's HSM Challenge (finished in December) - life got in the way, and I missed three months of sewing and HSM Challenges (April, May & June) so I caught these up albeit late - I did the June challenge in July, and the April and May challenges in December!
Fashion apron by TheLadyDetalle
For my late May Practicality challenge, I am finally getting around to a second long-planned apron! An apron is a woman's accessory in order to do simple things and yet keep her dresses clean: cutting fresh flowers for the house, light baking, or any other simple and yet necessary task, even for a lady (lol). They are also sometimes worn more as an accessory than for any task, so my late Practicality challenge, I created a delicate ladies apron from the late 18th century!

First, the finished late 18th century apron:
Close-up of the late 18th century apron
Late 18th century reproduction apron
There aren't really any in progress pictures: I took a length of fabric purchased from Jomar: basically myself and three friends shared a length (cut it three ways). I simply cut it down the selvedge since I wanted a short 18th century apron, trimmed the sides a bit, pressed the seams and hand-stitched the seams down. I decided not to try to do a rolled hem on this futzy fabric, so simple hem it is. For a quick project to have a late 18th century pretty apron, I'm happy. :)

Historical Sew Monthly (Late) MAY challenge:




The Challenge: Practicality - Fancy party frocks are all very well, but everyone, even princesses, sometimes needs a practical garment that you can DO things in.  Create the jeans-and-T-Shirt-get-the-house-clean-and-garden-sorted outfit of your chosen period.

Fabric: A Jomar find, $5 a yard I think, and shared 3 ways with friends. Not 100% sure of content, but probably a mixed blend cotton.

Pattern: No pattern.

Year: late 18th century, so 1770's-1780's.

Notions: A length of off white silk satin ribbon for ties

How historically accurate is it? It's based on aprons of the time, using similar material and hand sewn.

Hours to complete: 1/2 hour to cut and press. 1 hour to sew.

First worn: Not yet. I made this for future, and possibly for Fort Fred in April 2016.

Total cost: $4-5 for fabric and silk ribbon.
The finished apron!

I'm happy to get this HSM challenge done, although very late, *sigh*...on to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment